Have you ever had that awful feeling that people were talking about you?
You may have tried to lean in to overhear what they were whispering. Or, you may have heeded your mother’s advice and walked on by, doing your best to ignore them.
Mom’s guidance was spot-on for navigating playground politics, but it’s a risky move for today’s food and agriculture organizations. As much as you may want to ignore the chatter, it is vitally important to detect the signals of the trends shaping your brand and your future. Monitoring these trends is the critical first step in creating actionable intelligence that your organization can use to develop proactive messaging to open a dialogue with stakeholders.
Because we understand how influential the digital conversation is for the food system, Look East has invested in digital monitoring infrastructure. This enables us to be a listening ear for our clients on the issues that matter to them and provide actionable insights for next steps.
Not so much a spying device or phone tap, digital monitoring is more like a stethoscope on the pulse of the industry. And, similar to doctor’s report, the results determine the next course of action.
How can your organization apply digital intelligence to improve business results?
- Identify opportunities to engage with stakeholders.
- Anticipate emerging issues in your industry.
- Keep tabs on a competitor.
- Proactively engage in addressing concerns.
- Become familiar with key influencers who are amplifying the issues
- Select the channels that are most effective for your engagement strategy
Digital monitoring is tailored to the needs of each organization and varies by scope. It can focus on broad topics – such as food labeling or transparency or cage-free eggs – and be as specific as a brand name..
Types of digital monitoring:
- News Media Monitoring: Track what traditional print, broadcast and online media outlets are reporting about your company, a competitor or an issue.
- Social Media Monitoring: There’s a lot of chatter on social media that is difficult to sift through. Each of us can become trapped in an echo chamber where we only hear from voices that agree with our point of view. Social media monitoring expands beyond those channels to find out what people are really saying – the good, the bad and the ugly.
- Trending Themes: Identify emerging trends by evaluating conversational patterns, social reach, geographic distribution and other metrics.
What if the monitoring confirms your fears that people are talking about you? The thing we like most about this process is that it is empowering. We have been tracking trends long enough to discern what media hits indicate – when is it best to engage and when is it best to follow mom’s advice and ignore the whispers.
Digital monitoring discerns the signals so that you can focus your resources to effectively engage.
With Look East’s media monitoring and reporting analysis, you can develop smart messaging to protect your brand and create digital engagement campaigns to advance your brand as a trusted, credible source of information.
Are you ready to hear what you’ve been missing? Contact us and we’ll put our stethoscope to work.